27/09/20 – Seaford Town (Home)

HRFC v Seaford Town

Win: 5-0 (1-0 halftime)

Our second game of the season was an afternoon kick-off against newly promoted Seaford Town. For this fixture we had an almost full squad, with just two players not available through injury. Rivervale got off to a very lively start, with Max coming close in the second minute, and they kept up the pressure, passing the ball about nicely and looking threatening from both flanks. Around 10 minutes in Henry came close from a long throw, which was followed by Rivervale winning a series of corners (well taken by Joel). From the fourth of these Rivervale got their well-deserved reward when Max poked the ball home. Rivervale’s dominance continued and could easily have extended their lead with Max having further chances in the following frenetic minutes. Though the intensity dropped a little, Rivervale still were looking dangerous. Around 25 minutes in Max had another chance after Aimen worked hard to win the ball back and at 30 minutes we almost saw a repeat of the first goal with Max close from another excellent Joel corner. Some late changes saw Connor making his Rivervale debut and though he was immediately involved in the action there were no further goals and the half ended 1-0.

The second half got off to an equally lively start with a lovely cross-field ball from James giving Connor his first chance on goal. Rivervale continued to dominate with James, Connor and Kane all having chances. This effort was rewarded after 8 minutes when Jake won a header in midfield and put Max through on goal who finished nicely to make it 2-0. And it was 3-0 within minutes as Rivervale countered rapidly from a Seaford free kick to give Max his hattrick. There was no real let-up for Seaford and the following period saw Kane and Connor combining well to create chances and a great shot from James that was just wide. Around 25 minutes in Seaford had their best chance of the match, a well struck free kick which Joe P did really well to save. But normal service was soon resumed and Aimen and Hassan combined next to come close to extending the lead further. With just under 10 minutes remaining a lovely pass from Connor put Kane through and he finished sweetly to score his first Rivervale goal. Minutes later he got his second, a superb left-foot finish from the edge of the box, and with the last kick off the game almost matched Max’s hattrick – heading just wide from a corner.

This was a very welcome score line after last weekend’s harsh result. The team played some good passing football and scoring 5 goals was not at all flattering – it could easily have been more. Equally nice was a clean sheet – Seaford did not have many chances, but this was largely due to the hard work of the back four and the midfielders shielding them. And when they did have a good chance a fine save from Joe P meant it came to nothing. We will face much stronger teams this season, but if we can build on the strong defensive first half against Saltdean and the free scoring second half against Seaford will be a hard team to beat this season. With our cup tie a home walkover our next game is against old rivals West Hove on 11 October. Let’s hope we can give them a bit of a surprise.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply